Here you can find answers to this question made by different people, real or fictional. You have to guess who made each answer. The list of contributors: Sergei Bernstein, Sheetal Jain, Alexey Radul, and others.
1) Chickens are irrelevant. Roads are futile.
2) Because his father told him it was his destiny.
3) Once you have eliminated the impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
4) To search for me.
5) The chicken is inferior.
6) A good joke that is, yes.
7) Chickenses, precioussss?
8) It has a part yet to play in this tale, whether for good or for ill I cannot say.
9) To give you a BIG hug!
10) To give its life for Aiur.
11) To give its life for Aiur... er, I mean, Nerzhul.
12) It was too late. My brothers have escaped it.
13) He went on a mission. He is my Padawan. May the Force be with him.
14) Chickens! I hate chickens! Especially those nasty little ones with the ketchup on top -- yuck!
16) The chicken has crossed the road. What is done is done, it is now part of the Pattern.
17) To live long and prosper.
18) To preserve his family honor.
19) Did the chicken cross the road or did the road cross under the chicken?
20) Did I miss the chicken? I never miss.
21) It's uncertain. Since you have to accurately measure that the chicken did cross the road, you can't accurately measure why.
22) He wanted to get to the same side.
23) That is not the question.
24) The news of its crossing has been greatly exaggerated.
26) To boldly go where no chicken has gone before.
27) I just don't have room here to give the full explanation...
28) It didn't finish crossing ... and it was a rail road.
Here is the list of speakers.
Last revised October 2005